|This monstrous centipede's incisors are imbued with a horrible venom that will slowly kill its prey.|
A centipede is a lowercase purple "c" that appears at the beginning of the mid-game (around 8-9 usually). They inflict weakness on hit, which temporarily reduces your strength.
Weakness lasts 300 turns. No matter how low the timer is for your previous batch of weakness, a new bite from a centipede will weaken you further and refresh the timer.
You can deal with centipedes many of the same ways you deal with acid mounds:
- Use projectile weapons or staves
- Send in your allies, but beware: weakness affects them, too.
- Attack with a spear from behind a tougher monster, or with an axe around a corner
- Engage in melee when you don't expect any other fights soon after
- Engage in melee and drink a Potion of Strength or a Potion of Life after the fight.
- Keep light equipment that you can switch into after being weakened.
| The charming inhabitants of the dungeon: